Teaser Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by The Purple Booker. Here are the rules if you want to play along:
• Grab your current read
• Open to a random page
• Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
• BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
• Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!
“I heard tell of a rich merchant,” one of the sailors offered, “who laughed at the ship’s crew for whistling, and no sooner had he done, than a great wind came up and the ship heeled hard about, and he was thrown over the side and dashed on the rocks of La Dolorosa.”
~ Kushiel’s Chosen by Jacqueline Carey
Currently sailing the high seas in this book, and with that comes the superstitions of sailors. I do love her writing, but these books are very much a slow burn.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by Jana at That Artsy Reader Girl. This week’s topic:
Top Ten Books That I Loved
With Fewer Than 2000 Ratings on GoodReads
I really like this topic, as there are so many wonderful books out there that just don’t get the exposure. I also absolutely love how easy GoodReads makes it to find these books.
- The Lost Brigade by Paul Kelly – Full disclosure, this book was written by a friend of mine, but it’s really good! And it only has 6 ratings on GoodReads! He self-published this, and I just don’t think it got a wide range of viewers. Wide scope epic fantasy with a new twist that I quite enjoyed.
- The Magician of Wall Street by Minta Hall – Full disclosure, this is also written by a friend of mine and former critique partner back when I was writing. This is a cute, sexy read and a lot of fun, but only has 18 ratings.
- The Casters series by Norah Wilson and Heather Doherty – There are four books in this series, and the most GoodReads ratings one of them has is 220. I still need to read the last book (it wasn’t out when I read the series originally, but it’s out now!) I did write reviews for the first three (Comes the Night, Enter the Night, and Embrace the Night).
- Terrestrial Magic by Marina Ermakova – I recently reviewed this one for NetGalley (check out my review here), and it only just came out in January, so maybe that’s why it only has 12 ratings so far. It was really good, so here’s another shout out!
- The Heartland Trilogy by Chuck Wendig – These books got a bit more exposure, since Chuck has more of a following, but the first book is the only one to even come close to 2000 ratings (it only had 1828). The others are much lower. This is a fun sci-fi adventure and just a good time all around. Reviews here.
- A Conspiracy of Alchemists by Liesel Schwarz – This may have been my first ever NetGally ARC, a long time ago. I remember we reviewed this back when we had our podcast, but I also posted a review here. Fun steampunk journey, but only 1797 ratings so far on GoodReads.
- Division of the Marked by March McCarron – I got this one from BookBub a while ago and really enjoyed it. New fantasy with excellent characters, only 938 ratings. I read this back when I wasn’t blogging much, so sadly, no review to link to, but believe me, it’s really good.
- Anger is a Gift by Mark Oshiro – Another fairly new book, but with only 1652 ratings so far. As you can read in my review here, I was already a fan of Mark’s websites, but this book blew me away.
- My So-Called Afterlife series by Jamie Ayers – Another BookBub find, this one went from being a sweet, coming-of-age tale of a girl dealing with depression and loss to being a battle between angels and devils and everything else. Such a surprise and very well written, but only 979 ratings on GoodReads. See my review here.
- Minutes Before Sunset by Shannon A. Thompson – This was a fun read, plus it was the first time I got to take part in a book tour, which was great. This only has 588 ratings, but it’s a fun, urban fantasy, with elements of paranormal romance. You can see my review here. The sequel is really good too.
That’s it for my teasers and top ten list this week! Share yours in comments!