Teaser Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by The Purple Booker. Here are the rules if you want to play along:
- Grab your current read
- Open to a random page
- Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
- BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
- Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!
This week’s teaser comes from Angel Mage by Garth Nix.
“There are only eleven of us left, Eminence,” said the young guard. She was obviously very weary, leaning on her sword, which was smeared from hilt to tip in caked gray ash. “I don’t think we can hold even this tower for much longer.”
This is the very beginning, the first few sentences of the prologue. What do you think? Would you keep reading?
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl. This week’s topic:
Top Ten Things That Make Me Fall In Love With A Character
Hmm. This is a tough one. I fall in love with characters so easily!
- Snarky sense of humor – This one is usually a good one. I have a very sarcastic streak, so I appreciate finding it in others.
- Protective – While I am a modern woman, there is something nice about a big strong guy who’s looking out for his lady.
- Not Conventionally Handsome – Perfect looks are not the most important thing in my book. I much prefer someone who has a few flaws.
- Brooding – Maybe it’s because I tend to brood myself, but I do like a brooding bad boy from time to time.
- Redeemable – They have their flaws and may have done some bad things, but surely there’s still hope for them!
- Tech-savy – Calling all nerds! I do enjoy a book boyfriend who is into computers and other gadgets.
- Musical – Any type of musician, whether they can sing or play an instrument. Bonus points if they can do both.
- Kind – This one is important both in books and in life. People are so mean nowadays. It costs nothing to be kind.
- Animal Lover – If your character has a cute puppy he just adopted or is best friends with his cat? I’m sold.
- Intelligent – A lot of this sort of overlap, but I do like my book boyfriends to be smart. Bonus points if he likes to read.
That’s it for teasers and top tens this week. I’m a little late posting today just because my schedule is all kinds of goofy right now, but please share your teasers or top tens in comments!