I love this week’s topic so much! The lovely folks over at “The Broke and the Bookish” have decided to honor all those awesome female characters who are smart, strong, and don’t take any of your crap!
Top Ten Favorite Kick-Ass Heroines
1. Katniss Everdeen (The Hunger Games) – Do I even need to say why? She is strong, deadly with a bow, yet compassionate enough to take care of those around her, even the ones who are technically her enemies (although it’s so hard to think of Rue as her enemy, but you know what I mean).
2. Hermione Granger (Harry Potter) – If you need a smart heroine, look no further. This girl is the “brightest witch of her age” and isn’t afraid to use those smarts to kick some serious butt. She also takes care of her friends and, come on, who didn’t cheer when she slapped Draco?
3. Morgaine (Mists of Avalon) – She breaks with tradition, fights for her family and the man she loves, all the while trying to remain faithful to her traditions and the Goddess. Morgaine is a very flawed heroine, but she is one of the strongest female characters I’ve ever read.
4. Jane Eyre (Jane Eyre) – Jane does things her own way. This might seem like a strange choice, but I admire Jane so much. She knew what she wanted out of life and wouldn’t listen to anyone who told her she couldn’t have it.
5. Polgara (The Belgariad/Mallorean) – Polgara the Sorceress. She is awesome. One of the first fantasy heroines I ever read, she has spent her many centuries on this earth tirelessly looking after the heirs to the Rivan throne, keeping them safe from all the people trying to kill them. And if she needs to, she can shut down a fight.
6. Meghan Chase (The Iron Fey) – Meghan is a pretty interesting character. She has had a lot of things thrown at her (finding out that she’s part fey, for one), but she keeps fighting back, not willing to give up. I’m still reading this series, but I’m very impressed with her so far.
7. Alanna (Song of the Lioness) – The original girl hero! This girl wants to learn how to be a knight. Oh wait. Girls aren’t allowed to become knights? Too bad! Alanna goes to the city in disguise and lives as a boy for years, becoming as good (if not better) at the sword as any of the boys she trains with. And she can do some pretty cool magic too.
8. Meg Murray (A Wrinkle in Time) – The plain, simple girl who saves the world. Meg knows that she doesn’t know how to rescue her father and brother from the evil that is taking over the world. Sure doesn’t stop her from trying though.
9. Lessa (Dragonriders of Pern) – She spends years hidden in plain sight as a serving girl in the hold where she was once the heir. She survives to defeat the man who took it away from her family, and then is called to become the rider of the Queen dragon of Pern.
10. Clary Fray (Mortal Instruments) – With a sarcastic streak as her main weapon, Clary gets pulled into the Shadowhunter world not knowing anything about the demons she’s fighting, and yet, she survives. Clary stays strong while learning that her entire life has basically been a lie, then goes out to fight the father she never knew, who is trying to take over the Shadow Word and destroy the Downworlders who are her friends.
There you have it! I’m sure I’ve missed some amazing female characters, so let me know who you would add to this list.
Writing challenge update:
Categories: Top Ten Tuesdays