Teaser Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by Ambrosia at The Purple Booker. Here are the rules if you want to play along:
- Grab your current read
- Open to a random page
- Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
- BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
- Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!
This week’s teaser comes from Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins.
“Now we’re in that sweet period where everyone agrees that our recent horrors should never be repeated,” he says. “But collective thinking is usually short-lived. We’re fickle, stupid beings with poor memories and a great gift for self-destruction. Although who knows? Maybe this will be it, Katniss.”
“What?” I ask.
“The time it sticks. Maybe we are witnessing the evolution of the human race. Think about that.”
For some reason, this really resonated with me right now. It might be considered a bit spoilery, since it does come from the end of the book, but I think it’s vague enough. Besides, this book, and the corresponding movie, have been out for years. I think it’s fine.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by Jana at That Artsy Reader Girl. This week’s topic is:
Ten Signs You Are a Book Lover
So many things, so here we go!
- Let’s start with something obvious: you write a book blog! 😀 Now, not all book lovers have book blogs, but if you do . . . well, let’s just say that if you AREN’T a book lover, you sure aren’t hiding it well!
- Overcrowded bookshelves. I see pictures of people who have shelves in their house with nice plants, picture frames, knick knacks and things and I wonder how they do it. There is literally no space to put anything other than books on my shelves. There are even books stacked on books, books lining the top of the shelves where books aren’t necessarily supposed to go. It’s a problem.
- You don’t just know your library – you know every library! I used to go to the library on a regular basis. Our county library has several branches, so if I got bored of the one near my house, I just drove to the next one. Or the next next one. Or the big fancy one downtown. If another branch had the book I wanted, I didn’t request it – I drove over there to check it out.
- Movies based on books make you feel very conflicted. I love when I hear that my favorite book is getting a movie adaptation . . . until I’m not. I love the idea, but what if they mess it up? There are a few that I can’t bring myself to watch because it just makes me nervous. Or, and this has happened, what if I like the movie better? Does that make me a bad book lover??
- You have an impressive collection of notebooks/journals. I don’t know why this seems to go hand-in-hand with book lovers, but it does. I have so many. And the thing is, most of the journals I have laying around have BARELY BEEN WRITTEN IN! This fact does not stop me from looking at them every time I go to the book store or buying a pretty new one when I see it on sale.
- People buy you random book related things for gifts. I’ve gotten mugs, t-shirts, tote bags, bookmarks, you name it. If it has a bookish saying or quote, someone in my family has probably at least considered buying it for me.
- You own multiple copies of books. While I don’t have many duplicate physical copies of books, I have on several occasions purchased an ebook edition of a book that I already owned a physical copy of because it was easier at the time to read ebooks. If my library didn’t have an ebook copy, or it wasn’t available on Kindle Unlimited, I would go ahead and buy it. I do also have a few duplicate physical copies, especially if there was a special edition or an author autographed one somewhere, but those are fewer.
- You like cats more than people. Okay, this is mostly a joke, but a whole lot of the book bloggers I follow are also cat lovers. And look at it this way. Cats hardly ever interrupt you while you’re reading! As long as their food bowl is full and the litter box is empty, they are perfectly happy to keep you company. Quietly.
- You have book lists upon book lists upon book lists. This is me in a nutshell. And it’s sad, really. I don’t know how I managed it before GoodReads. I still have reading lists, both digital and handwritten, plus books of book lists (I’m looking at you, 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die – also, I should probably read more of those).
- You have a dedicated reading goal for the year, and sometimes more than one. Not all book lovers do, but a fair number of us do. I’m certainly guilty! Even before I started this website, I enjoyed trying to set reading goals. Posting about my results is what keeps me honest now.
Thanks for reading! Please leave your teasers and top tens in comments!
Categories: Teaser Tuesday, Top Ten Tuesdays
I haven’t read this book or series, but what a great teaser! Thanks for sharing, and here’s mine: “THE SEA GLASS COTTAGE”
The whole series is really good. You should give it a try sometime!
We think alike. I love your list. Here’s mine: https://pmprescott.blogspot.com/2020/03/ttt-033120.html
I just read your post. We do think a like! 🙂
Yeah, writing a book blog is a great sign that you’re a book lover.
My TTT .
I wouldn’t do all this otherwise! 😀
A great teaser for the times we are in now. I had conflicted feeling about the conclusion to the series.
I think a lot of people did. I thought it was pretty well wrapped up, but I understand if some people expected something different.
I definitely have done the several library visits! I have 40 branches in my library system. It’s definitely something I love about it!!
Wow, 40 is a lot! I’m jealous!
Yeah, it’s pretty nice. I went from 4 to 40! 🙂