Greetings one and all! After several days (weeks?) of work, my company has now settled into our new office. Maybe now I can actually get some work done. And sleep. 😉 But enough of that! It’s Tuesday, which means another Top Ten post, hosted by “The Broke and the Bookish.”
Top Ten Favorite New-To-Me Authors I Read In 2012
These are all authors who have been around for a while, but for some reason, I had never read them. Obviously I didn’t know what I was missing. There are several others who could be on this list – I’ve actually read quite a few new authors this year. But these are my favorites.
1. Suzanne Collins – Do I even need to say more? I read The Hunger Games series for the first time this year and was completely blown away by it. Amazing, amazing books.
2. Mira Grant – Also known as Seanan McGuire. Also known as the person who wrote a book that COMPLETELY BLEW ME AWAY!!! I have got to get caught up on my reviews, just so I can talk about how awesome Feed was.
3. Ernest Cline – Another author who blew me away. Ready Player One was so engaging, suspenseful, clever, amusing, heart-racing, and just plain fun.
4. Maggie Stiefvater – She falls into the category of “Authors I Can’t Believe I Haven’t Already Read.” The Books of Faerie series that I started this year had all the things that I love in it. I definitely plan on reading more of her stuff next year.
5. Julie Kagawa – See comment for Maggie Stiefvater. The Iron Fey was another awesome series that I can’t believe I hadn’t found until now.
6. Rachel Hawkins – I had almost forgotten about this one, since I never got around to finishing the Hex Hall series, but she definitely deserves a mention on this list. The first book was really interesting. I need to make it a priority to find out what happens next.
7. Stephen Chbosky – I only picked up Perks of Being a Wallflower because I heard that Emma Watson was starring in the movie adaptation. But I am so glad that I did! Such a good book, which I will get around to reviewing (tomorrow maybe?).
8. Ransom Riggs – One of the most clever new authors I’ve read this year. His book, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, was one of the most original things I’ve read in a long time, using those old photographs to create a really cool story.
9. Maria V. Snyder – I had never heard of her until my friend and podcast co-host Jess suggested the Study series. It’s a really cool story world with an amazing heroine who would have been #11 on my Top Ten Heroines list from a few weeks ago.
10. Cinda Williams Chima – One thing I love about book clubs is that you find books that you wouldn’t otherwise know about. Such was the case with Cinda Williams Chima and her book, The Demon King. The Seven Realms books are now added to the list of series that I need to finish.
Looking forward to seeing what other new authors people have discovered this year!
Categories: Top Ten Tuesdays