Ugh, I am so ready for this week to be OVER! Maybe because last week was shorter due to the holiday, but this week feels like it has lasted years. Part of that, I know, was due to some issues that my daughter is having, which I don’t think I’ve actually talked about. I think I have mentioned that she suffers from severe anxiety and depression, including suicidal thoughts at times, but it got so bad that we made the decision to pull her out of school and homeschool her for the rest of the year. I couldn’t keep dealing with getting calls from the guidance office that she was upset or dealing with teachers who claimed they were sympathetic but then never gave her a break on anything. The administration at her school were also incredibly difficult to deal with, including blaming my daughter for her own bullying situation. Not cool, man.
So we withdrew her from school and are trying to decide what to do with her next. Mind you, I am still working, so a lot of what we are doing is online so that I can monitor it and help her while I’m at the office. I am very lucky that my co-workers and boss are okay with me doing that. It’s been two weeks now and it is mentally exhausting. Better than worrying about her at school, but still really hard. All I can do, though, is keep pushing through it until we get through this challenge and then see where we end up.
I will say that keeping up with this blog has been a wonderful distraction from life when I need it. I deeply appreciate everyone who follows me here and all the other bloggers I get to interact with. You make me smile when smiling is sometimes hard to do.
Okay, okay, enough serious stuff. Speaking of the blog, this week was a busy week! I got to participate in two different blog tours in two very different ways. With one of them (S.S.S: Year One), sadly, I did not have a chance to read the book yet, although I did start reading it and will one day pick it back up again. It was a lot of fun. Reminded me a bit of the Yasmine Galenorn series Otherworld/Sisters of the Moon that I read a few years back.
Let’s look at reading progress, shall we?
- I read chapters 23 to 65 of The Circle: Taken by Sage Sask, finishing that book. You can read my review for the blog tour here in case you missed it.
- I made good progress on Empire of Storms by Sarah J. Maas finally, reading chapters 40 through 68. Yay! I should hopefully finish that one today. It’s not that it wasn’t good – it’s great – but I kept having other things get in the way.
- Speaking of progress, I went ahead and started reading Kushiel’s Avatar by Jacqueline Carey, reading chapters 1 through 3. I was planning on waiting until I finished Empire of Storms, but figured that I’d go ahead and jump in. Why not.
- I only read one chapter, chapter 10, of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling. This one has really fallen by the wayside and I fell like such a bad Potter fan! My goal for next week is to really get back into the Chapter-A-Long posts so that I can keep going. I will definitely fall behind in the #PotterheadReadAlong19, but hopefully Noura will forgive me (I know she will 🙂 ).
- I started my next review book, What We Do For Love by Anne Pfeffer, and read the first five chapters. So far so good, although it’s just getting started. I love the main character already!
That’s . . . that’s a lot of reading things! And GoodReads says I’m two books ahead of schedule to meet my goal! Yay!
Have a wonderful weekend, everyone!
Categories: Weekly Wrap-Up